Tuesday, January 17, 2006

When I grow up...

As a child in elementary school, I always wanted to be an Astronaut, then the Challenger exploded in 1986 when I was in 5th grade. That was the same year that Hailey's Comet came by the earth on it's 76 year trip around the sun. I most likely wont be alive to see it when it comes around again, but these events certainly effected my outlook in life. Regardless of whether or not I'd ever see the stars in person, my eyes were always looking to the sky and I dreamed of space through motion picture filters. I dreamed of traveling to far off worlds, five year missions, seeking out life, boldly going, etc etc. One of my first writing assignments in 6th grade was to write a short story or poem. At the time, I thought poetry was stupid girl stuff and went for the sci-fi epic. Twelve pages later, I turned in my first masterpiece. Did I mention that I failed that assignment...miserably?

As I grew older, I realized that I had a knack for school. I absorbed everything like a sea sponge. I won contests in writing, math and geography, received an honorable mention in the science fair, and kept straight A's for the most part through school. My only fault was spelling, which I am thankful technology fixed with the all-mighty spell checker. It was then, that I first had the idea to become a teacher. I didn't have any specific ideas about what I would teach though. I originally thought mathematics would be my strong point but Calc III changes that idea quickly. In high school, all of my friends were going into Engineering programs in college, and this was before the boom of computers. My computer class in high school was on an Apple IIc. With the guidance of piers and teachers, I also thought engineering was a good idea. Once again, Calc III, the destroyer of many of my plans, rears it's ugly head.

Fast forward a few years (We're gonna pass up all the sad story stuff about a bad childhood, dropping out of college, living in stranger's basements, and committing felonious acts) and here we are. I'm certainly not where I wanted to be, but it's not like my life is over yet. I now have two beautiful daughters to raise and with my wife and I guiding them. They are sure to be everything that I wasn't. My new aspirations revolve around writing. Maybe something will come of it. Maybe I'll write that Sci-Fi epic. Maybe not. We'll find out when I grow up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home