Saturday, January 14, 2006

WHAT?

Here's something that frustrates me. When I say "What" or "Say again", in conversation, it means I didn't hear what you said. It does not mean I just missed the last few words so only repeat those.

Example:

Co worker says, "Have you heard the name Ali?"

I hear her say, "Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah "

I say, "What?"

Co worker says, "the name Ali"

I say, "What?"

Co worker says, "the name Ali"

I say, "What about it?"

Co worker says, "Have you ever heard the name Ali?"

This happens to me all the time. Had she just repeated that sentence in the first place, we could of avoided some mild frustration.

Here's one my wife does, that's even worse:

Wife says, "Me and my sister are going to the mall to look around"

I hear, "Blah blah blah", and say "Say again?"

She then says, "the Mall"

I then have two choices to resolve this conversation.

Choice 1) I can say "What?" again, knowing that she will be furious to have to repeat herself again, even though its her own fault.

Choice 2) Guess what she is talking about, which puts me at a 33% success rate, and say, "Sure when are we leaving?" Which is the wrong answer and frustration ensues.

You may say, "Are you deaf or do you not pay attention?" This is a typical woman response, because as we all know, men are supposed to be alert and at attention at all times awaiting for the exact moment for women to speak so that we can answer, "Yes Dear." As a matter of fact, 90% of these instances result while I'm in the middle of something that is holding my attention, like watching TV, washing dishes or sitting in a four cornered room staring at candles.

The other 10% fall in this example:

Wife says, "I'm going to the store to get Milk and butter"
I here, "Blah blah blah" and say, "What?"

My wife repeats it one of two ways,
1) She will repeat the same line at the same volume or mumble it the same way (when common sense says to speak up a bit)

2) She will repeat it again while looking away or while she is walking out the door, and as we all know, distance and vector effect volume as well.

Both options result in a second, "Say What?" Maybe I'm weird, but when someone doesn't understand me, I give them eye contact, speak up, and repeat myself slowly and clearly (but not so slowly that you come off sounding like a jerk or smart ass). Many times in the argument that might follow, I will say something like, "I'd hear you if you'd talk to me and not the wall."

Typical man issue, you say?. This is true. Two woman can both speak, at the same time, about two different topics, and both will understand and reply in unison about the other's topic. All of this occurring while chewing gum, walking, and window shopping or going in packs to the ladies room to do what ever it is women do in there. This is because women are Aliens.

It's not just my wife, its a lot of women. I only use her as an example because she is the woman I am around the most. I love you sweetheart. :)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I have to honestly say, "that is damn funny" when it is written here. Becca and I are truly laughing outloud. Very funny.

CLEAN YOUR EARS!!!!

The Wife

12:32 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Love you sweetheart

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's flippin' hillarious!!!!

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, I have the answer to all of your problems regarding communication with women, the answer is PURPLE!!!!!!!!

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She gotcha!!!!!

Or maybe is it

42?

2:24 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

say again?

3:27 PM  
Blogger Darv said...

Just respond next time with "Transmission failed, Please resend"

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home