Tuesday, March 07, 2006

A Series of Unfortunate Events

The Wife and I made a decision some time ago to always own one reliable car. That way, in a worse case scenario, we have a means to continue getting to and from work, doctor appointments, and what not. We own one brand new Saturn Ion for this reason. The other vehicle is a 10 year old mini-van. Let me describe the worse case scenario that has unfolded. A couple of weeks ago, I pulled out of my driveway in my van, put the van into drive and pop, no transmission. I roll down the hill a ways and veer the van over to the curb, hit the emergency brake and let it stay parked. We had decided to wait until our taxes got back to get the transmission fixed so It stayed parked for about a week.

We get our tax refund and schedule to have the van towed to a transmission shop the following morning. The night before, about 10:30 p.m., some clown comes barreling down our road, smashes into the side of our van, crushing the drivers side sliding door and takes off down the road. The wife is so angry she hops into the car and gives chase. She never finds the guy, however. I Call the police and about 2 hours later they finally come to make a report. The officer was nice enough and offered her condolences, but said that chances are, they wouldn't catch the guy who did it.

To add insult to injury, we just dropped the insurance coverage on the van to the minimum required by law. We figured, I only drive the van 5 miles to work. I am a safe driver. Chances are that I wont get into an accident and if some clown hits me negligently, my insurance company can sue them. We didn't foresee this option. I call the insurance company anyways the following day. That lady was also nice and offered her condolences, but anytime you talk to an insurance agent and they quote Murphy's Law, you're in trouble. She did say that should the police find the guy who did it, they will represent me in any claims. I can paraphrase the entire conversation as, "Too Bad, So Sad."

We have a single income family of four. While I don't complain about my pay too much, it doesn't give me any room to go out and buy another new car. For that matter, I really don't have the cash to go out and buy a nice used car, nor the credit rating to do so. While we're on the subject, a middle priced used car with some issues might be a little too much for me right now. I'm basically stuck looking for a junker that might last a year or two. Our search begins. Feel free to donate to our cause. Donation link on the right.

I have been starting every day since the hit and run by looking through Craigslist, an online classified ad service catered to local merchandise and job searches, personals, etc. I actually found a few cars that sounded like winners. Who wouldn't think these cars were great though with the way they word these ads. They always start with, "Runs great, new battery, fresh oil change, non-smoker, perfect interior, etc. "And after seeing them, always end with, "Needs engine or leaky gas tank."

This leads me to a side topic, The used car mentality. When you go into a dealership selling used cars, or when talking to anyone selling a used car, you get the same thing. Their car is gold, your trade in is crap. They will tell you everything that is good in the car like its the only important thing and act matter of factly about any detriments in the car while doing the opposite with any trade in you may have. This is because somewhere down the line, cars have become an item to haggle over. I don't really know why this is so. It's not like I can go into a grocery store and tell the cashier at the register that I only want to pay a quarter for the loaf of bread, and start debating the pros and cons of wonder bread over a hearty rye. What do you think they'll give me on a trade in for the bread I ate last week?

Anyways, the first car I see is an older model Dodge Van. It's one of those full size models. You know the kind you can put in surveillance equipment and go on a stake out in? So I have to drive 30 minutes to go check it out, when I get there, it doesn't even start. Of course the ad doesn't say anything about not starting or the fact that the entire van is going bald (i.e. paint peeling everywhere). Next car I go to look at is an older model Pontiac. Big car. Looks O.K. from the outside. The guy gives me the keys and I go for a test drive. The sign on the window says runs and drives beautifully. The problems are as follows; entire steering column moves about 30 degrees in every direction, the blinker switch won't function because of this, radio was ripped out by force, all four power windows don't work, it wont start without pumping the gas a lot, it rattled, knocked and generally was about to die. It did have new hubcaps though. The one I went to look at last night was nice enough. It wasn't pretty but it started and drove and the radio worked and everything. I test drove it, negotiated the price and was ready to buy. The guy then says he can't sell it till next week when he gets his new car. This is an inconvenience, but doable. I tell him to give me a call when he's ready to sell. He then re-posts it on Craigslist that night. I'm confused.

So we're still looking.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home