Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Never Believe What You See (How Not To Play Poker)

I sit down to play in a couple Hold-em Poker tournaments last night. These are for the Pioneer Poker League, which is a free league I play in. It's free and mostly for fun, but if you finish in the top 100 in points over a 4 month period, you get to go to a tournament of champions where winner gets sponsored into a real money event. I'm on the bubble for the top 100 and I needed to finish in the points in both of the two tournaments last night. So I played tight.

Early in the first tournament, I get KQ suited in middle position, one limper to me. I raise it to 3X the big blind. The Small blind folds, big blind re-raises to 6X the big blind, the limper raises again to 12X the big blind. I fold. As good as that hand is, with two other guys in the pot, chances are I would be losing cash. Flop would of given me two pair, Kings and Queens and with the King on the river, I would of had the Boat. They only had marginal hands in comparison. I finished that tournament 6th, so I needed a big finish is tournament two.

Thinking a little aggression would help, I went into tournament two with some piss and vinegar in my veins. First hand, cards are dealt. I'm in middle position again, the table folds to the guy on my right. He looks at his cards and I can see his cards. He has 24, one club, one spade and limps in. I'm thinking he should of folded, but whatever. I get A9 suited and raise it. Big blind re-raises it, limper calls, I call. Flop comes AJ8, two clubs. I have no flush possibility, and limper only has a back door flush with no pair. He raises. I think, WTF? I call. Big blind re-raises, he calls, I re-raise. Everyone calls. OK, I know the limper has nothing, so when no club falls on the turn, I have him. I have to get the other guy off the pot. Limper raises again, I go all in. The big blind thinks hard for a while and folds, saying he had the best hand. Limper calls and we reveal our cards. I have top pair and he doesn't have 24, one club, one spade, he has 24, clubs suited. He ends up with his flush and I end up busted out on the first hand. All because I thought I saw something I didn't. If I had played that hand without seeing his hand, I would of folded after all the action started. The other guy had pocket jacks.

Dumb.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Darv said...

I don't get it =(

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home